Tuesday, April 26, 2011

No More Maddy's Jumping on the Bed

So the Friday before spring break I lay in bed at 7:00 in the morning after the kids had woken me up and tried pulling me out to make breakfast. I was slowly getting out of bed when I hear a big thud and Maddy start to cry. Carley and her were jumping on their bed and I don't know if she fell of or was pulled off by Carley or tried to jump down to follow Carley when she got down. In any case, she cried and hobbled around for the morning. I finally decided to take her to the doctor, who then sent us to get x-rays. And yes her foot was broken. The nurse practioner put a splint on and suggested we shouldn't go to St George for Spring Break because she couldn't get in the water and we would have to cast it the next wednesday at primary children's, which would cut our vacation short. They wanted to wait until the swelling went down, funny thing that it really never got swollen. Needless to say I was bummed. later that night the doctor called to make sure she was alright and I told him our situation. After looking at the x-ray he thought it would be ok to be in a pool because there would be no friction and she wouldn't be standing on it. Also we could wait until a week from Wednesday and just have the splint on. So we headed down to St George. Traveling in the car was not fun because the weight of the splint was uncomfortable for her as it hung from her carseat. She did fine on Sunday and Monday morning, but as we got to dinner Monday night she wouldn't stop crying. For awhile she wouldn't take the motrin either. She cried for 5 hours straight crying for me and I was holding her. Nothing could console her. Finally we decided to take the splint off and see if that would help. She finally stopped and we had a little sleep. At least she wasn't crying. In the morning we looked at her foot and noticed a big blister on the back of her heel. Even thought she wasn't walking on it, because we made her crawl like a dog most of the time she still got a blister. We were able to bandage it up and then put her splint back on and she was better. We did have one more 2 hour crying episode, but other than that she was usually pretty good. We decided to not wait until the next Wednesday and made an appt with an orthopedic surgeon to get it cast Thursday afternoon when we got home. Since having the cast on she has been back to normal. She runs and plays and sometimes I don't even think she remembers that it is on. She hobbles when she runs, but it doesn't stop or slow her down. Little kids heal fast and we are crossing our fingers that she will get it off this Thursday.


These pics were taken in St George with her splint. The sock is covering it up



On a side note, I love Maddy's curly hair. I have never done it in a pony tail because I love the curls. Well a week or so before her fall I decided to put it in a pony tail after her bath. it looked so cute and it made the curls on the sides and back even curlier. I love it and she thinks it is fun too. She is looking and acting so grown up lately.



this is her "cheese" smile





1 comment:

...You May Say I'm A Dreamer said...

Poor baby:( She is adorable and I'm sorry she had to go through all of that...and YES, her curls are so cute!!