Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Butterfly

A caterpillar/butterfly is one of the most amazing/wonderful/beautiful creatures on this earth. For those of you who follow this blog if you look back a couple posts ago you will see the caterpillar we found and how it formed a chrysalis. Today it emerged as a butterfly. We will be releasing it when Bryson gets home from school. An interesting fact I didn't know was that the green chrysalis turns black before the butterfly is ready to come out. The chrysalis is really clear and you see the butterfly/caterpillar in the inside. (As a side note, I set my video camera up at about 11:00 on a tripod to try and catch the butterfly coming out. I didn't push record because I didn't know how soon the butterfly was going to come out so I figured I would check on it periodically. I checked on it around 12:00 and then went and folded laundry and took care of Maddy and Carley, I looked at it again around 1:30 and it had emerged from the chrysalis. I was bummed I didn't get it on video.) Bryson still has his butterfly that will come out in a couple of days.





Starting to turn black

You can see the orange of the wings inside the chrysalis.





BEAUTIFUL

No comments: