Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Yummy Orange Julius

I feel like I don't blog very much any more so I am going to try harder to do more posts to remember what everyday life is like these days.
Anyways orange julius have been a tradition in our family since the winter after Eric and I got married. When he was younger and living in Bakersfield they used to go to orange orchards and get "juice oranges" and have fresh squeezed orange juice. So that first winter and every winter since whenever someone is coming up from Bakersfield we would have them bring oranges up. Some years we would get 1-2 boxes other years we would get 4-5 just depending. I always thought that i needed the oranges from Bakersfield, but this year Spencer wasn't able to bring any up so I started buying oranges from the store - I think the produce man thinks I am crazy. I figured that if oranges were less than $0.50/lb it is cheaper and TASTES LOTS BETTER to juice the oranges yourself than to buy the "fresh sqeezed" oj from the store. So far this year I think we have gone through 7-8 boxes of oranges. (each box weighs 40 lbs)
My kids love fresh oj and we make orange juilius at least 4-5 times a week. What started off as just oj, bananas, and ice cream has now added raspberries. My favorite is still without the raspberries, but the rest of my family loves it with raspberries. Also I just recently learned how to make homemade yogurt and I freeze it in ice cube trays and use that instead of ice cream. I love our healthy breakfast full of vitamins.
Oh and another thing that makes squeezing the oj fun is that I use my grandmother's 30-40 year old procter silex juicer that is the best.

Maddy loves the orange julius. She makes the funniest slurping noises as she is drinking and of course makes a mess all over her face. But she is so cute doing it.



4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Fresh squeezed is THE BEST!! Love the orange-stache.

Julie said...

Thanks for letting us know about the boxes of oranges that were on sale a week or two ago. We got 2 boxes and have LOVED them. We've juiced a lot and eaten quite a few fresh, but now we'll have to try making "Orange Julius," too.

...You May Say I'm A Dreamer said...

I've been trying to think of something that sounded good and you just provided me with the perfect solution...gotta run, gotta go make a Julius (just wish I had some Fresh OJ!!)

Shari said...

That looks so yummy! I think I might have to make one of those today too!