Wednesday, November 10, 2010

San Francisco

I love San Francisco. To give you a little background I was born and lived in the Bay Area until I was 10. A lot of my early childhood memories come from going to San Francisco with my Mom. She worked in the TransAmerica Building (or pyramid) on the 33rd floor. I used to love going to work with her on Saturdays or when I was sick. You could walk around the whole floor of the building and get a perfect panorama of San Francisco – the bay bridge, golden gate, Alcatraz, Coit Tower, and many other sites. I remember for lunch we always went to China town and got Chinese food. When I was little we went on the cable cars and to Alcatraz and to Fisherman’s Wharf. I lived there during the 1989 San Francisco Earthquake and will always remember watching the news and seeing the bay bridge collapse. It has traumatized me with bridges for life.
Eric had a conference in San Francisco in September, but it didn’t work out for me to go with him. When he got back he told me he didn’t see what was so special about San Francisco, it is full of crazies and homeless people all over the street. To me it holds the memories of my childhood
My Mom still goes back to the bay area for work a lot so I finally found a time to go with her and leave the kids. The last time I was there I went with my Mom, but I also took Carley with me and she was 5 months old.
This time my main point was shopping, but I also wanted to go and take pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge and Fort Point. Out of all my memories I never went there. Fort Point is military fort that was built during the civil war to protect the city. When my oldest brother was in 5th grade he was able to spend the night with his school class and reenact parts of the war. I was excited to go and see the fort and see the Golden Gate Bridge. I knew the city always had fog, but I was so sad when I couldn’t even see the outline of the bridge when we got there at 11:00. We walked around the fort and then had lunch and walked around some more. We decided to watch a movie about the making of the bridge at 1:30 and when we came out the fog was finally starting to clear. I was so excited. I finally got my pictures. Even though my Mom wanted to walk across the bridge I told her I would never go. I didn’t even want to drive across – it terrifies me. After taking pictures we went and shopped and shopped and shopped some more for the rest of the weekend. We had a lot of fun and I had fun being in the city


The first picture I took


the fog starting to clear

Sail boats in the bay

Fort Point

Clear Skies

One of my favorite pictures



My mom and I on the roof of Fort point with the bridge in the background


A view of the city. The pointy triangle building or pyramid is where my mom worked

A big chevron ocean tanker was going under the bridge



A funny story with this. About five minutes before this picture was taken a guy had stopped with his bike to take a picture. I guess he didn't realize that the waves splashed on the land he got drenched. A convertible car also got drenched. It made us laugh

4 comments:

Shari said...

Great pictures Dawnelle!

Kelli Proctor said...

so fun, and so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Anne said...

Great photos of the Golden Gate Bridge! When we were there in October, we didn't get to see it until late at night, and by then the fog had rolled in.

...You May Say I'm A Dreamer said...

San Francisco is a great city! I love the food there and the shopping is awesome. So glad you had a great time. BTW, Your pictures are beautiful...I think we need a mini-class in RS about how to take good pictures...hmmmm...
~M