Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Canning

It is getting the end of the garden season and I have to say that I am happy. I love fresh tomatoes, but Eric always wants to plant too many. I did 5 quarts of tomatoes. 15 pints of salsa. I donated some to my neighbors spagetti sauce and got a quart back in return. And this weekend I will have a whole bunch if it doesn't keep freezing. Last night it froze and luckily I covered them up because we are going to have a warm spell so more should be ripening.
I got a bushel of pears and did 7 quarts and 2 batches of dried pears, with more to go. My kids and I love dried pears.
My cousin married into a family of peach and cherry farmers in payson so I got a box of peaches and did 14 quarts of peaches. We also got a box of just eating peaches so we still have some left to eat plain and on peach short cake and peach crisp. YUM!
It is nice to have them in the winter, but I am sick of it now and my floor is a sticky mess. The last two years have been nice since we have Eric's parents camp stove that is on our back porch so I do the canning outside. Luckily the propane has lasted. I keep thinking that it is going to quit in the middle, but it hasn't so hopefully Eric can fill it up before I do another batch this weekend.
This weekend I need to go and pick potatoes, onions, carrots and take all my winter squash into the basement. Oh the joys!!!

2 comments:

Athack77 said...

Ah, the joys and monoteny(sp) of canning. I've been doing a ton of canning too which is why I haven't been consistently blogging. Congrats on your hard work, it's akways worth it in the end.

Anne Marie said...

So impressed. The results of your work look wonderful. We love dried pears. How cool to have your own homemade ones.